- Junior Hotshotz Dance Team
Day Camp and performance- January 11
Students grades K-8 can attend.
What: Dance Clinic taught by the Allatoona Hotshotz Dance Team and Coach Kelly Mattingly. The students will learn dances, get a t-shirt, and perform at the boy’s varsity basketball game that starts at 7:30.
When: Friday, January 11
Time: 4:00-end of performance
Where: Allatoona Cafeteria
Cost: $35 includes instruction, t-shirt, a ticket to the basketball game.
Register: Go to http://allatoonabucs.com/hotshotz/.
- Zaxby’s Night
- Help PTSA Reach Our Goal!
Georgia PTSA has challenged us to add 25 new memberships before the end of 2018. If you haven’t joined already, this is the perfect time to help us reach this milestone and support the exciting activities we have planned at Durham for the rest of the year. Simply click the blue button below and follow the prompts. It’s easy-peasy!
- Durham <3s C&S Paving!
Sincerest thanks to our business partner in education,
C&S Paving, Inc.
for their sponsorship of Ultimate Fun Friday. Wildcats received popcorn, ice cream and cotton candy free of charge — a much appreciated break for these hardworking students!
- The Holiday Shop is Back!
November 26 – December 21
The PTSA is once again hosting the ever-popular Holiday Shop during regular school store hours. Send your students in with a few bucks to pick out affordable, thoughtful gifts for friends, teachers, and family.
Got some extra time on your hands? We really need more volunteers for morning shifts in the school store. Please consider signing up as your schedule allows!
- Mornings done right!
- Reality University is December 19!
8th Grade Reality University is coming up, and we need volunteers! Your student doesn’t have to be an 8th grader for you to participate in this unique experience. Morning and afternoon shifts are available. To go ahead and claim your spot visit the Signup Genius. Hope to see you there!
Reality University is an incredible activity for 8th graders to learn financial literacy and the correlation between fiscal well-being and academic achievement. We partner with Communities and Schools to create this wonderful opportunity. We will have 4 sessions (2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon). The students will cycle through various tables (such as housing, transportation, insurance, etc.) to plan their lives based on the career and salary they receive.
- No More Keychain Tags at PublixYou know the little keychain tag you scan every time you visit Publix to benefit Durham? Well, as of August 1, that’s a thing of the past. However, Publix has made it easier than ever for shoppers to send a portion of purchases to the school of their choice! See directions below for quick set-up!
*Note — this must be done on desktop/laptop, NOT a mobile phone*
– First, visit the Publix web site, www.publix.com
– Then, in the upper left hand corner click “Log in.” If you do not already have an account, click “Sign Up” on the next page.
– Go to “My Account”
– At the bottom of the page under “My Publix Partner”, click “Select a School.” Type in Durham Middle School PTSA – Acworth, GA. Then, click “Select.”That’s it! Now, whenever you shop at Publix all you have to do is enter the phone number you used during registration on the keypad when checking out, and a portion will be donated directly to Durham PTSA! Thank you for your support!
- An Important Safety Message From Dr. Alford
As the school year is now well under way, a few safety concerns have come to our attention, so it is important to communicate some safety procedures with our families regarding the morning carpool drop-off.
Middle school staff are not required to report to school before 8:30 AM. Because we offer morning study hall each day beginning at 8:15 AM, many families are dropping off students earlier than our staff members arrive. While we do have staff inside the building to supervise before-school activities, we do not have the personnel to also supervise the parking lot before our school day begins at 8:50 AM. Therefore, we need your help to keep our parking lot safe for our students, our visitors, and our staff.
When dropping students off in morning, we ask that all drivers please follow the following safety guidelines:
1. Please do not park, wait, or idle along the curb at any time. The curb is for drop-off only. Parking or idling along the curb in the morning prevents other drivers from being able to follow these guidelines and creates a safety concern as parents
are not able to drop their children off safely along the curb.
A. Drivers should stop along the curb only long enough for students to unload, and then the
driver should proceed toward the exit.
B. If you arrive prior to 8:15 AM, please park in a parking space until you are ready to drop off. When you are ready to drop off your child, please join the carpool line.
2. All students should be dropped off along the curb on the front sidewalk of the school.
A. Please do not drop students at the flagpole in the mornings. Though we do use this as a pick-up lane in the afternoons, we do so with assigned staff supervision. In the mornings, without supervision, it is a serious safety concern for students to cross in front of and between cars. Please only drop off along the curb on the front sidewalk.
B. Please do not drop students off from parked vehicles in the parking lot. For
the same reason as stated above, parents are often in a hurry and it is a major safety concern for students to be crossing the parking lot when there is not adult supervision. Please only drop off along the curb.
3. Students should always unload the car from the passenger side along the curb.
Thank you for helping our students, visitors, and staff members arrive to Durham safely each morning.
These procedures, along with our afternoon carpool procedures are posted for your reference on the Durham website at www.cobbk12.org/Durham
- Please Take the Georgia Parent Survey
The Georgia Parent Survey contains 24 questions and may be completed using a personal computer, smartphone, or tablet. If you do not have access to a computer, you may use one at Durham from 8 AM – 9:15 AM throughout the survey window. The survey link is: http://gshs.gadoe.org/parents
All parents are encouraged to participate in the Georgia Parent Survey because the data will be used as part of the calculation of the School Climate Star Rating. Survey responses are anonymous and will be submitted directly to the Georgia Department of Education for analysis. The Georgia Parent Survey is also available in Spanish. Parents may select the Spanish version within the survey.
- Volunteer Corner:
Want to lend your time and talents to Durham? Check out the following Signup Genius links for more information on when/where to volunteer:
Chicken Biscuit Sales
Friendly reminder to our valued volunteers:
We totally understand that sometimes life gets in the way. So, if you ever can’t make it to a shift please remove yourself from the Signup Genius, or contact your committee head.
- Chick Fil A Punch Cards
Are you tired of trying to locate $3 in spare change?
Buy a Punch Card!
New for 2018-2019
Purchase a Punch Card for $30. Cards will be punched one time for one biscuit for a total of 10 biscuits. A printable form can be found below.
Cash or checks can be made payable to Durham Middle School PTSA
Please place your cash or check along with this order form in the PTSA lockbox located next to the cafeteria.
- Send Box Tops In WHENEVER YOU WANT!
There’s no need to wait for PTSA to prompt you for box tops. Instead, simply do the following:
– Trim box tops and place them in a zip-lock baggie labeled with your student’s name, homeroom teacher, and grade level.
– Deposit them in the box next to the PTSA kiosk, located outside the cafeteria.
– Keep ’em coming, because in February the top 3 students from each grade level will be recognized!
- Back By Popular Demand…
The School Store’s “Game of the Week” contest was a big win last year, so the PTSA is bringing it back! Students can stop by the store to cast one vote per week for the team they think will come out on top. Weekly winners will get to choose a prize, plus they’ll have bragging rights for dayzzzzz.
Also, students can stop by the store to meet all their Allatoona or Harrison spirit wear needs! This is one case where it’s pretty much imperative to choose sides…
- Calling All Business Owners!!!
Do you want to get in front of 500 families for just $50? How about the opportunity to help grow your business in the community? If you answered yes to either of these questions then we have a great opportunity for you!!!! Sign on as a Durham business partner today! For more information, or to sign on the dotted line, please email us.