- Red Ribbon Week
It’s Red Ribbon Week across the country… and right here at Durham Middle School. This year’s theme is “You Only Live Once.” Students are signing the pledge not to waste a second and to live drug free. Last week, the kids got a head start by decorating classroom doors with their own Red Ribbon Week messages.
Tuesday, we’ll have a visit from a Cobb County K9 team for a demonstration. Plus, everyone’s invited to dress up in support of Red Ribbon Week! You can see the spirit days listed in the calendar below. Classes with the most participation this week get donuts for breakfast!
Monday, 24: “Wear Red Day”…wear red
Tuesday, 25: “Sock It to Drugs”…wear crazy socks
Wednesday, 26: “Hairs to a Drug Free Life”…crazy hair day
Thursday, 27: “Hats Off to Being Drug Free”…wear a hat day
Friday, 28: “Team Up Against Drugs”…wear your favorite team jersey
- Georgia Parent Survey
We would like your input! All Durham parents are encouraged to please take the state’s Georgia Parent Survey. Click here for survey. These results, combined with our student and staff surveys, inform the School Climate Results of the College and Career Readiness Performance Index (CCRPI). Parents may complete the survey using their personal computer, smartphones or tablet. Survey responses are anonymous and will be submitted directly to the Georgia Department of Education for analysis. Individual data results from the Georgia Parent Survey will not be available to the public.
- Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl
Calling All Readers!
This year, the Durham Media Center is sponsoring a Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl team. Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl is a game format competition between schools, testing students’ knowledge of the books nominated for this year’s Georgia Children’s Book Award. Right now, these books are featured on the bulletin board across from the cafeteria as well as in the media center. If your student likes to read, hang out with others who do, and enjoys trivia, HRRB might be the club for them! HRRB tab will show you the book list. Meetings are every Wednesday at 8am in the media center.
- iCare School Improvement Project Begins
We’re very lucky at Durham to have so many resources available to our students. We’re also very lucky to have parents backing our PTSA who see a need, and fill it. Last year we voted to take on updating technology in our media center. Less than four months later, students were working on new computers and utilizing a giant interactive smartboard. This year, we see another need: iPads. They’re a valuable, convenient way to use technology in the classroom. Many schools, even elementary schools, are using iPad carts. Each wheeled charging cart holds 30 tablets. Durham has none.
Last week, PTSA approved purchasing one iPad cart at a cost of $12,498. Those funds are available thanks to Durham families’ support of PTSA. But we can do better!
How to Help
Those 30 iPads won’t go far with our 1100 students. We need your help to buy more. PTSA is dedicated to “no-sell” fundraising. We do not ask students to sell products to fund PTSA projects. We hope that instead, you will do one of two things:
- Join PTSA during our Fall Membership Drive. Membership does matter! Click below to purchase even a $7 membership and be a part of this important project. The benefits, including free admission to our student dances, will far outweigh your cost.
- If you are already a Durham PTSA member, please make a small donation to this project. Pledge, “iCare about Durham.” Click the button below to donate online, or you may send a check to deposit in the PTSA kiosk across from the media center.
Thank you for always coming through for our kids!
- Chick Fil A Biscuits – Wednesdays!!
Don’t forget, $3 Chick-fil-A chicken biscuits are for sale in the Wildcat Cafe every Wednesday from 8:15 – 9:15am. Proceeds benefit your Durham PTSA!
- Add a Special Birthday Wish!
Make a BIG DEAL out of your student’s special day by putting his or her name on the school sign out front! It’s a great gift all around. Your $25 donation benefits the Durham Foundation! Turn in this form to the front office at least 24 hours before you’d like the name posted
- Take Out Tuesday at Zaxby’s
There’s really only one way to spend this Tuesday night: Chillin’ with friends and Zaxby’s chicken. Zaxby’s is one of Durham PTSA’s biggest supporters. The Stilesboro location donates 20% of their entire sales on Tuesday night to our kids. Let’s support this Durham business partner and pack the place! Bring your friends, bring your neighbors… or just pick up some “real chicken” and milkshakes at the drive-thru. It’s a real way to treat the fam and support our school, too!
- Did You Know…?
Any level PTSA membership gets you in to DANCES for FREE!!!
- Opportunity School DistrictThis November, Georgia voters will be asked to decide on “Amendment #1” to the state constitution regarding an “Opportunity School District.” The measure would allow the state to temporarily take over leadership of chronically failing schools, up to 20 per year, and place them under a special superintendent, appointed by the governor, in hopes of improving performance.Georgia PTA is strongly opposed to the resolution, insisting the amendment infringes on local control of education and would strip funding. Please research this issue and know what your are voting on!